Followers

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Link Between Depression and Diabetes


Sending flowers your way to make your day!


I got to thinking today, 
there has got to be a link 
between diabetes and depression.
I Googled and started researching.

Already diagnosed with BD, 
I found out that I had Diabetes Type II
after my parents died.  

This scared me to death because
both of my parents were severe 
insulin-dependent diabetes.

If you have Diabetes you are 3 times 
more likely to develop depression.
If you have depression, you have a greater 
chance of developing diabetes. 

Although not fully understood, it makes perfect sense.
Reasons to consider:
  • Managing diabetes can be stressful.
  • Health problems resulting as a result of diabetes may worsen depression.
  • Depression leads to poor choices, unhealthy eating habits, less exercise, smoking, alcohol abuse, weight gain, all risk factors for diabetes. 
  • Depression causes an inability to think clearly. Changes in cognition can make managing medication difficult resulting in uncontrolled diabetes.  (Many days David has to remind me to take my medication.  Sometimes brain fog is so bad that I can't manage anything.)


We both are going through Diabetic Burn-Out.  It is actually a medical syndrome, a state of delusions about the disease. Years of trying to manage diabetes can lead to frustration, denial, and self-destruction behavior. Saturday night I bought two packs of Oreos, a carton of ice cream and have been eating on them for 3 days. Today I stopped by Baskins and Robbins and got a double scoop chocolate, peanut butter cone.  Am I not crazy???  I thought, why not!  I'm depressed.  Yes, self-destructive.  Feeling bad all day, I tested my glucose and of course it was high.

My husband is a diabetic and he and I are both going to attend a Diabetes Management Class on Wednesday. We must start being proactive.  I want to enjoy my grandchildren.  I weighed 200 pounds when I was first diagnosed.  I lost 30 pounds 3 years ago and felt good about myself and was better able to manage the BD. Today I weighed 195.  

Maybe I need to pick up gardening.  These are some of the photos that Bee sent me today.  I'm so proud of her.  She is working so hard to overcome.

Cleopatra canna lily


Peach parfait hibiscus


This is my favorite. 
Gladiola


Southern Belle hibiscus

And she says this is the sweetest flower of all...


Jackson, her great nephew.

Doesn't this make you smile:)

Bonnie:)

"Laughter lightens your load and lifts your heart into heavenly places.  Your laughter rises to heaven and blends with angelic melodies of praise.  Just as parents delight in the laughter of their children, so I delight in hearing My children laugh.  Do not miss the joy of My Presence by carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders.  Rather, take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me.  My yoke is comfortable and pleasant; My burden is light and easily born."  Matthew 11:28-30 (AMP)
--Sarah Young, Jesus Calling








  






3 comments:

  1. Bonnie, I am praying! Deciding to be proactive about your health is half the battle. The other half is making deliberate right choices. You having your husband to do this with you will be a HUGE help! I am so proud of you! I know gardening does help me to relax and the exercise that comes along with it is great for the mood! Thank you for saying all of Bee's flower pics. They are beautiful...and that little guy is a doll! :) Hugs, sweet Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures..my mil is a severe diabete..she has these mood swings that are darn right scary. My husband called her for Mother's Day and she sounded..well..high as a kite. I certaintly can tell you..diabetes is no joke..depression is no joke, they do go together..not meaning to make light of anything..just speaking from my heart. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying that the class will be very beneficial for you bothl.
    John is diabetic also. Eleven years ago when he was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (he stops breathing 55 times per hour without cpap) it led to his diabetes.

    ReplyDelete